A Message From Our CEO Regarding COVID-19 Response
I sincerely hope that you and your family are well and taking all necessary precautions during this unprecedented time relating to COVID-19. At Coastal Community, nothing is more important to us than the well-being of our employees, as well as our members, clients and communities we serve every day. While we continue to provide essential financial and insurance services, we want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to ensure the health and safety of our employees, members and clients, and are constantly monitoring and responding to the situation.
On March 26th, credit unions and related financial institutions, as well as insurance providers, were officially deemed essential services by the BC Provincial Government. As we continue to provide services under this directive as an essential service, Coastal Community is firmly committed to doing so by following the most up-to-date requirements and guidance to ensure safe operations and reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
We join public health and government officials in asking everyone to help by doing their part in following the directives to slow the spread of COVID-19, and protecting yourself, your family, friends and neighbours, as well as our employees and others delivering essential services in our communities. As BC Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, recently stated, “The gravity of the situation cannot be overstated, and everyone must do all they can to support our efforts to break the chain of transmission and flatten the outbreak curve.”
Over the last several weeks, we have been keeping you up to date through our website and at our locations on significant changes we have made to our service delivery in response to this global pandemic. We certainly understand that these changes have been significant and may be difficult for you. We truly appreciate your understanding and willingness to adjust to these ways. Our response ensures we can continue to provide the essential financial and insurance services you need, while keeping our work environment safe for our employees and other members and clients, and helping to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Everyone at Coastal Community is truly committed to providing you the essential services you need to manage through this unprecedented time. We are incredibly grateful and proud of our amazing team of colleagues for their leadership, long hours, and strong commitments they are making to continue to support our members, clients and our island communities. Our employees truly are our greatest strength.
We also want to share our deep appreciation to others continuing to offer the essential services necessary in our communities, throughout our province and our country, specifically to our healthcare workers. You are critical to fighting this global pandemic and we thank you immensely.
A summary of some of our changes are below. As the situation continues to evolve, we expect to be making further changes, which will include shifting our resources and employees to where they are needed to best serve you. We encourage you to visit our COVID-19 Updates page on our website for full details and the most up-to-date information on the services and support available to you.
As the situation continues to unfold, we will continue to adapt so that we can provide you with the best options and solutions possible while keeping our environment safe for our employees, members and clients. As always, thank you for your loyalty and your business, as well as your patience during this uncertain time.
Be kind and stay safe,
Adrian Legin, President and CEO, Coastal Community Credit Union
Changes to our services
We remain committed to ensuring that your essential financial and insurance needs are met within the requirements of government directives and guidelines associated with COVID-19.
There is currently no public access to Coastal Community’s physical locations, other than our ATMs and ITMs. We may provide an exception in the rare situation where your urgent banking needs cannot be met through an alternate channel. As we continue to shift resources as needed, further changes may be needed. Please regularly check our website for the most up to date information. We are providing service to support our members through alternate channels including:
- Members are being served by phone through our Relationship Centre at 1-888-741-1010 and through WebChat.
- Online banking is available through our website or app (for iOS and Android devices).
- ATMs are available at all locations, and Interactive Teller Machines at select locations.
- For more complex needs or in the rare situation where your urgent banking needs cannot be met through an alternate channel, you may book a phone appointment through our website.
- Clients are being served by phone through our Relationship Centre at 1-888-741-1010 and through WebChat.
- For ICBC Driver Licensing services, please call ICBC directly at 1-800-950-1498 or (250) 978-8300.
- To request deferral of your monthly insurance payments for up to 90 days visit icbc.com or call 1-800-665-6442
We are here to help alleviate the financial pressures that you may be facing as a result of COVID-19. Tailored to your specific situation, Coastal Community’s financial relief program could include deferral of payments on personal or business mortgages and loans for up to six months.
- If you are directly impacted by COVID-19 and facing immediate financial challenges, please fill out the Deferral Request Form, also found on our COVID-19 Updates page. Through this request, we will work together to find a solution that lessens the financial impact of your challenges such as pay disruption, childcare disruption, revenue disruption for businesses, or facing illness, and allows you to meet your urgent needs.
BE ON ALERT FOR INCREASED FRAUD
Unfortunately, fraud artists are taking advantage of the situation and targeting people at their most vulnerable. Be aware and be vigilant—this is your best defense. Make sure you:
- Regularly monitor your account activity
- Set up Account Alerts through online or mobile banking (this service will notify you by text or email if certain account transactions or changes happen)
- Activate the Interac e-Transfer AutoDeposit feature through online or mobile banking
- Do not click on links or open attachments in unsolicited emails or text messages
- Delete any “too-good-to-be-true” offers sent to you
- Never disclose your online banking PAC or debit card PIN